I should not be taking the time to write this post--I should be packing busily like a worker bug with fall quickly approaching. But it is too hot for fall to be around the corner (110 yesterday!) and I've just come across a poem Scott wrote for me on my birthday year before last that reminded me of why I love him so much, which reminded me of the fun night we had Friday celebrating anniversaries with my parents Friday.

My parents treated us (Pav included, of course) to fancy dinner at the Capital Grille. The restaurant treated us like celebrities (which in this case means we were celebrating--how did it come to mean famous people?) with a table strewn with confetti and cards for each couple signed by all the staff, and free dessert. The best treat was a happy evening enjoying everyone's good mood, remembering the details of our wedding days fondly--even the discomforts of rushing, heat, humidity and the craziness that accompanies do-it-yourself weddings. In both cases memories of the closeness of family and friends present for our weddings tempered the craziness and reminded us of the importance of those days.

Scott wrote the poem while we were living in our tiny studio apartment when Pav was very into
Goodnight Moon. It is important to know that Darwin was one of our landlady's standard poodles and tended to get a little fresh, especially, and annoyingly, when it was wet and muddy out.
Goodnight Goone-
"a poem of sympathy and understanding from a daughter,
to her greatly beloved mother, on their special day"
In the bite-size room
there stayed a mother
and a little goone,
who drew pictures of--
Olivia exploring the moon.
There were trains and there were blocks,
not to mention Daddy's improperly discarded socks.
The goone grew bored and wanted more,
which she promptly dumped out all over the floor.
It was half past three and the mother yearned to be free!
Goodnight room
Goodnight goone
Goodnight Olivia exploring the moon
Goodnight trains
Are those Daddy's Hanes?
There, in the chair
Does he think he can just throw his stuff anywhere?
Goodnight blocks and goodnight socks
Goodnight little mouse (Ratatouille), get me out of this house!
Goodbye door, I didn't see that dirty floor
Hello sky, hello fresh air
Darwin, I really wish you wouldn't stick your nose there.
It was signed by the dog, the cat and the daughter--in the order that I became their mom.
No comments:
Post a Comment