Thursday, February 5, 2009

Great Falls, again.

For some reason Scott and I are drawn to hiking in weird weather. Last spring, when it topped 100F in the beginning of June and everyone else in DC was hiding inside with the AC cranked, we headed to Great Falls National Park for the sweatiest hike ever (verified by Guinness). Last weekend, when Sunday's temp reached the low fifties (not bad for January), we returned ready to brave the lingering snow wearing our sandals.

We weren't hoping to catch pneumonia, that's just the best footwear either of us have for traversing the trails since our hiking boots are waiting, bored and dejected, back in Iowa City. And I'd have to say the sandals did pretty well as the snow melted and the trails turned to slushy mud. However, Scott and I couldn't have looked too suave hippity hopping about the trail trying not to soak our feet in 32F mush. I blame the poor footing for our measly rate of covering about four miles in four hours but the time spent eating our picnic, and Scott and Pavlina's snowball throwing contest must be factored in.
It may not be clear from the pictures, but Pavlina's went further. Sorry Daddy.

1 comment:

kaelene said...

Hiya Heather, Scott, and Pav! We sure miss you guys and just wanted to see what you have been up to lately! Hope you have a great weekend! Love, the Harrison's