Friday, June 6, 2008

Pav, So Grown Up, but So Far to Go

Sometimes I forget that this little person I spend my days with is just a babe. Other times it is painfully clear that she has so much growing up to do! Take the last couple of days as an example.
Normally when Pav is quiet it can only mean bad stuff is going on, but Monday morning she quietly entertained herself for half an hour reading "Harry the Dirty Dog" on our bed. Scott was working from home that morning and I had to call him over to check it out:


Then compare to this afternoon. When Pav woke up from her nap it was clear from one whiff that she needed a diaper change. So I suggested this to her and get this response:

"NO!"

Run and hide, run and hide...

I don't think I'll ever understand her reasoning on this issue (and trust me, it is an issue for us). Why wouldn't a clean dry diaper be worth the minute and a half of laying still it takes to do a change? Oh no, she'd rather just keep playing, smelly or not.

It is one of the joys of parenting to have a child remind you of the small pleasures to be had in life. An example is the love Pavlina has for eating cherry tomatoes.

Stick one in whole,

Pop, let juice run down chin,

zesty!

Who knew eating vegetables (yes, botanically tomatoes are fruit, but Pav doesn't eat many vegetables so we count what we can!) could be so much fun?

2 comments:

Rachelle said...

Heather...you are so funny. I love the picture of Pav eating the tomatoes. So much pleasure in such a simple activity :). By the way Andrew is the same about diaper changes and I just don't get it either.

Anonymous said...

OMG! She's READING!!! That's awesome :)
I'm so going to miss her! See you guys at the BBQs!
Jas